ASSESSMENT OF COASTAL HAZARDS AND CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION TECHNOLOGIES FOR THE COASTAL REGION OF WEST AFRICA AND CAMEROON USING THE COASTAL HAZARD WHEEL (CHW)
The objective of this Technical Assignment (TA) is to develop a standardized methodology based on a common language at the regional level, to collect, manage, share, compare and analyze data on an ongoing basis to support decision-making processes related to sustainable risk assessment and management and building the resilience capacity of the coastal regions of West Africa and Cameroon.
Specifically, the objectives are to:
- Develop planning and communication documents.
- Update the national and WACOM coordination unit’s databases with CHW (including Cameroon’s).
- Identify and promote specific adaptation options and technologies most appropriate for coastal risks.
WE&B is providing the following services:
- Conducting a comprehensive collection, evaluation and analysis of available national and regional data and their integration into the CHW system. Specifically, WE&B will be directly responsible for the following areas: Biodiversity and the Integrated coastal zone management measures, supported by WASCAL.
- Contributions to the report of the comprehensive evaluation and analysis of available national and regional data and their integration into the CHW system; and the collection and inventory work of available data, pre-processing and preliminary analysis (shared by technical antennas).
- Organization of a regional training session for the focal points of the national antennas and the regional coordination unit of MOLOA as well as the Technical Counterpart of Cameroon on the methodology and the practical application of the CHW tool.
- Lead the training of experts of the national antennas and the regional coordination unit of WACOM as well as the Technical Counterpart of Cameroon and relevant researchers on the data management available in the CHW system for risk mapping and adaptation options.
- Provide major contributions to the update of the classification and mapping of coastal risks and adaptation options (including Early Warning Systems), using the CHW and / or Google Earth web application.
- Contribution to the identification, evaluation and formulation of a series of recommendations for technological options to be implemented for the sustainable management of the main identified coastal risks.
- Provide feedback and contributions to the final regional workshop for sharing and capitalizing technical assistance as well as for the report of the final regional sharing and capitalization.