DEMONSTRATION OF AN ENVIRONMENTALLY-FRIENDLY DESALINATION SYSTEM CONCEPT: TRANSFORMING SEAWATER INTO VALUABLE RESOURCES (LIFE DREAMER)
The main objective of this project is to develop and demonstrate a highly resource-efficient desalination concept where the seawater that is subtracted from nature is fully converted either into water amenable for different uses or valuable products that can be used internally or valorised in other industries. The individual technological systems that comprise the novel desalination concept will be designed to accomplish the recovery of water and different products in the most energy-efficient manner.
The proposed approach involves demonstration at a pilot-scale desalination plant where the different treatment and recovery systems that comprise LIFE DREAMER will be implemented. This plant is representative of full-scale conditions and is suited for the treatment of real sea water and concentrated brines.
- To increase the water recovery of desalination systems from the 50% conventionally achieved in reverse osmosis (RO) treatment plants to over 90%.
- To decrease the pollution and environmental impact associated to RO desalination systems by reducing the waste generated and discharged by at least 80%.
- To reduce 50% the internal use of chemicals used in desalination (specifically, reagents for remineralisation and those for RO membrane fouling prevention) thanks to the removal and recovery of products contained in seawater.
- To reduce the specific energy consumption per unit of water produced (and associated greenhouse gas emissions) of desalination 10% thanks to the increased water recovery and the optimized operation of the treatment and recovery systems.
- To evaluate the feasibility for full-scale application of the developed and demonstrated system in other geographical areas
- To replicate the approach and transfer the knowledge to stakeholders by means of specific education and dissemination strategies and platforms as well as recommendations to policy makers.
WE&B are responsible for the two tasks:
- MONITORING OF THE SOCIOECONOMIC IMPACT OF THE PROJECT: the potential socio-economic impact of the project will be monitored through several indicators that will be defined by WE&B
- PUBLIC AWARENESS AND DISSEMINATION OF RESULTS